The Olympic Games are among the most important sports contests in the world. The Olympics bring together thousands of the world's finest athletes. Millions of people have watched the games in person and more than 1 billion people throughout the world watch the Olympics on T.V. This year, the Winter Olympics will be held in PyeongChang, South Korea
The Olympic Games include the Summer Games and the Winter Games. Each kind is held every four years, but the two types take turns, so that there is an Olympics held every two years. The Olympic symbol is made up of five rings joined together, which stand for Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and the Americas
The first recorded Olympic contest took place more than 2700 years ago, in the year 776 B.C. at Olympia in western Greece. At the time, the games were only for men, and the only event in the first 13 games was a running race.
- The medals this year were designed to represent tree trunks because PyeongChang is known for its mountain forests
- An entire forest was destroyed to create a ski run for the games
- Norway has won the most medals at the Winter Olympic Games, with 329. The U.S. has won the second largest amount, with 282 medals.
- The Olympic stadium cost $107 million to build, and will be torn down after the games!
- Due to a doping scandal, Russia has been banned from competing in the 2018 Winter Olympic Games. The athletes can still compete as individuals, but not as a part of a country